What are the best brain foods to prevent dementia? For the elderly, a nutritious and balanced diet is important. Daily dietary nutrition, adequate rest, and regular exercise are conducive to the brain and body health of the elderly. Therefore, seniors can supplement the following 11 brain-invigorating foods to help strengthen memory and delay memory decline, making their brains seem younger and more flexible.
1. Fish is the Best Brain Foods
Studies have shown that older adults whose diets include more fish have healthier brains than those who eat less fish. In fact, taking more salmon and herring rich in Omega-3 is helpful for maintaining body and brain health (pregnant women can also supplement Omega-3). Omega-3 is a polyunsaturated fatty acid. Among them, DHA is an important component of the brain cell membrane that affects the brain’s blood flow, oxygen delivery, neuron coating maintenance, and nerve message transmission and other brain-related operations. In addition, taking more Omega-3 can also prevent Alzheimer’s disease, reduce its incidence.
2. Green leafy vegetables
Green leafy vegetables are rich in vitamins B6, B12, and folic acid, which help the body metabolize Homocysteine. Homocysteine increases cellular oxidative stress, is a risk factor for vascular disease, causes forgetfulness, and even develops into Alzheimer’s disease. Therefore, by consuming brain-boosting green leafy vegetables such as cabbage, kale, and spinach, it can also help prevent dementia.
3. Chocolate is a Tasty Brain Foods
Research results presented by many scientists have shown that flavonoids in cocoa are effective antioxidants, which can increase blood flow to the brain, transport oxygen and nutrients, and maintain brain health.
Brain cells can be regenerated, scientists call it neurogenesis. Freshly brewed green tea contains catechins, which can promote the regeneration of brain cells, maintain the number of brain cells, help the brain function normally, and can also boost the spirit and keep the mind clear.
Rich in antioxidants, fruit is a food source of essential nutrients for the brain and helps maintain long-term memory. For example, apples are known as the “fruit of memory” because they contain the trace element zinc, which is an indispensable element for nucleic acid. Sufficient nucleic acid can improve blood circulation in the brain, resist harmful protein damage to the brain, and reduce damage to brain nerve cells. It also improves memory and cognitive ability. Banana is the “fruit of wisdom”, rich in vitamins potassium, phosphorus, vitamin B6 and so on. Avocados are rich in Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, which help maintain brain health. In addition, berries are also a good choice of brain-building fruits for seniors. They contain Fisetin and Flavonoid, which can resist oxidation and inflammation, help improve brain power, and let you easily recall the past.
Curcumin is the main ingredient in curry. It can resist inflammation and oxidation, help clear the amyloid deposits in the brain related to Alzheimer’s disease, balance the inflammatory response, fight brain aging, and maintain cognitive function. Curry is not only good for brain health, it can also help seniors fight diabetes and heart disease.
The nutritional content of eggs is extremely high, and all kinds of nutrients are readily available, especially vitamin B12. Vitamin B12 can maintain brain health and prevent atrophy. Studies have found that people who lack vitamin B12 have a greatly increased chance of brain atrophy. This is the precursor of Alzheimer’s disease, which must be prevented.
Folic acid is regarded as brain food. Cereals are rich in folic acid, such as brown rice, oats, whole wheat bread, wheat, barley, etc. Folic acid helps to increase blood flow to the brain, provide oxygen and nutrients, and maintain normal division and replication of brain cells. Whole grains are rich in vitamin B6 and thiamine (vitamin B1). Thiamine can help the body convert glucose into energy, which can refresh the brain and improve memory. If thiamine is lacking, it will cause poor energy and difficulty in concentrating.
Pumpkin is the premier brain-boosting vegetable and a perfect tonic for the brains of the elderly. It is rich in glutamic acid, which is an excitatory neurotransmitter, which can increase the activity of neurons and improve the function of nerve cells and the brain. metabolic response.
Milk is recognized as one of the most valuable sources of nutrition, providing elderly protein, calcium, and other essential nutrients for the brain. In addition to nutritional supplements, elderly people drinking a glass of warm milk before going to bed can also help them sleep.
11. Nuts are Tasty Brain Foods
Nuts generally refer to oil-rich seeds, such as peanuts, corn, millet, almonds, etc., which are beneficial to the brain. Peanuts are known as “longevity fruit” and are rich in lecithin, cephalin and many nutrients. Studies have shown that regular consumption of peanuts can improve blood circulation in the human body, delay brain cell aging, and enhance memory.
For seniors, diet can not only maintain the needs of life, but also improve the health of the brain through the intake of appropriate ingredients. It is extremely critical in maintaining life functions and mind. Therefore, every meal should be carefully planned and enjoy every nourishment.
Books for Taking Care Dementia
What I Wish People Knew About Dementia
What can a diseased brain tell us about being human, living our own lives better and helping those with dementia get the best from theirs?
When Wendy Mitchell was diagnosed with young-onset dementia at the age of fifty-eight, her brain was overwhelmed with images of the last stages of the disease – those familiar tropes, shortcuts and clichés that we are fed by the media, or even our own health
Somebody I used to Know
How do you build a life when all that you know is changing? How do you conceive of love when you can no longer recognise those who mean the most to you? A phenomenal memoir, Somebody I Used to Know is both a heart-rending tribute to the woman Wendy Mitchell once was, and a brave affirmation of the woman dementia has seen her become.
Understanding Behaviour Dementia Challenges
As people grow older, their physical and psychological needs become more complex. Unmet needs often result in challenging behaviour, particularly if the person suffers from dementia. Ian Andrew James looks beyond the behaviour itself to the causes behind it, suggesting both medical and non-pharmalogical approaches to lessening suffering and improving quality of life
Supplement to Improve Dementia
Benefit of Vitamin E
- Beneficial for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease NAFLD
- Prevention of prostate cancer
- Beneficial for blood lipid regulation
- Decreases inflammation: C-reactive protein
- Reduce the risk of senile cataracts
- Beneficiary to myocardial infarction.
- Beneficial for dementia (especially Alzheimer’s)
- Beneficial for seasonal allergic rhinitis
1. Maintain Heart Health
2. Treat Mental Illness
3. Help Lose Weight
4. Support eye health
5. Relieve rheumatoid arthritis symptoms
6. Maintain skin health
7. Helps baby vision and hand-eye coordination
8. Reduce liver fat
9. Improve symptoms of depression
10. Improve ADHD in children
11.Improve memory in the elderly
12. Improve asthma symptoms and allergy risk
13. Improve bone health
Supplement for Brain Health
Benefit of Alpha-Lipoic Acid
- Scavenge free radicals, prevent skin aging, and improve skin damage
- Reduce and prevent wrinkles, improve skin luster and elasticity
- Improve dark circles and enlarged pores
- Lipoic acid regenerates vitamins C, E, coenzyme Q10 that have lost their antioxidant capacity, and enhances antioxidant levels
- Improve memory decline and promote brain health
- Lipoic acid helps maintain liver health
- Lipoic acid has a protective effect on the retina
- This product may help stabilize blood sugar
- Lipoic acid is extremely important for energy production
- Lipoic acid can regenerate by itself and has a long-lasting effect.
1. Promote methyl transfer
2. Promote the development and maturation of red blood cells, keep the body’s hematopoietic function in a normal state, prevent pernicious anemia; maintain the health of the nervous system
3. In the form of coenzyme, it can increase the utilization rate of folic acid and promote the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats and proteins
4. It has the function of activating amino acids and promotes the biosynthesis of nucleic acids, which can promote the synthesis of proteins, which plays an important role in the growth and development of infants and young children.
5. Metabolize fatty acids so that fats, carbohydrates, and proteins are properly used by the body
6. Eliminate irritability, concentrate, enhance memory and balance
7. It is an indispensable vitamin for the healthy functioning of the nervous system and participates in the formation of a lipoprotein in the nervous tissue
Benefits of Boron
- Anti-inflammatory effects.
- Help alleviate arthritis.
- Improve brain function.
- Has anticancer effects.
- Boronated compounds used in the treatment of several types of cancer.
- Maintain bone density.
- Accelerate the healing of fractures.
- Relieve rheumatoid arthritis symptoms.
- Adjusting your body’s natural production of testosterone and estradiol, a type of estrogen.
1. Improve immune system function.
2. Maintain the function of joint movement.
3. Balance normal blood sugar levels.
4. Rich in antioxidants to absorb harmful free radicals.
5. Helps maintain normal levels of cholesterol.
6. Maintain healthy lung function
7. Improve mental clarity
8. Reduce stress and overcome depression
9. Improve the sexual function and prevent erectile dysfunction.£18.91
Benefit of Maca
- It is good for bone health
- Improve Chronic Mountain Sickness
- Improves sperm quality and promotes fertility
- Improve female sexual dysfunction
- Beneficial athletic performance
- Improves erectile dysfunction
- Increases male sexual desire
- Boosts reproductive hormones such as testosterone
- Improves Cognitive Function
- Beneficial for Prostate Fat
Most Useful Accessories For Dementia
Wireless Floor Pressure Mat & Pager Set
- Used at home to prevent falls & wandering
- Stepping on the mat will cause the bleeper pager to activate from anywhere in the home
- Can be placed next to a bed. Anti-slip base included.
- Bleeper pager vibrates, flashes and bleeps
Talking Photos Album
- Record a separate message on each page using the built-in microphone. Re-record as many times as you wish.
- Each of the 20 pages will hold a single photo in a clear pocket, 5×7 inches, (125x175mm). Each page has an individual Play/Pause button.
- Total recording time of 6 minutes, set at 18 seconds per page. Playback via the built-in speaker.
- Bring your memories back to life by adding a new dimension to your photographs. Create your own talking books for speech and language projects in school. Create speaking and listening activities and display classroom projects.
- Also ideal for people with Dementia, Alzheimer’s or Huntington’s Disease. Display family photos, audible instructions, medication management, daily reminders and procedures.
CPR Guardian III Personal Alarm for Elderly
- FREE SETUP AND TECHNICAL SUPPORT – The CPR Guardian Watch arrives with a pre-installed SIM which provides maximum mobile coverage at all times by intelligently switching between mobile networks based on the best available signal; Please check you have a 2G signal and you activate the SIM card by signing up for either the Bronze, Silver or Gold service plans; Just contact us on the number on the box and we will do everything for you
- FALL DETECTION – is designed to automatically detect a serious fall and raise an alert, Confirmation that an alert has been raised will be given by the watch asking if the user is OK. To cancel an alarm, the user must press NO on the watch screen
- SOS EMERGENCY ASSIST BUTTON – In the event of an emergency, the wearer will be able to voice call and alert the designated SOS contact by holding the red SOS button; The GPS location of the wearer will also be sent to the Guardian Monitoring APP
- SMART LOCATION TRACKING & GEO ZONES – Built-in GPS tracking on the dementia wandering alarm ensures accurate outdoor location tracking and estimated location tracking when indoors; Receive alerts every time the wearer enters or leaves a Geo-Zone
- TWO WAY PHONE CALLING & VOICE MESSAGING – Make and receive voice calls to friends and family almost anywhere in the world without the need of a mobile phone; Send and receive voice messages to friends and family
Robin, 2022 Version, Digital Day Clock
- Ultimate clarity – The 8 inch crystal clear high definition color display ensures a sharp, crisp image displaying the full color spectrum with a 170° viewing angle that can be seen from all sides of the room. Choose from custom or preloaded display themes
- Reconstructed design – Thoughtfully developed user interface and easy-access side buttons make this clock ideal for seniors. The smart design allows for placement in the bedroom, kitchen or bathroom and a sleep button is perfect for those midday naps
- Alarms, reminders and custom messaging – Create as many alarms as you need. Easily adjust the volume, length, sounds and messaging. Automatically adjusts for daylight saving time with a worldwide schedule built in. Adjust each alarm and message separately
- Talking clock – One touch button announces the day and time in a loud, clear voice. You can also schedule periodic time announcements, as well as screen reminders such as birthdays, events and holidays. Choose from 20+ preloaded events or write your own. This day clock also has battery back up a in case of a power outage, it automatically resets to the correct time and date when the power returns
- The perfect gift – The packaging and manual do not include words such as ‘dementia’ and ‘memory loss’. Makes for a perfect retirement gift to sensitive elders or loved ones. Enjoy US customer service, and US based phone support. Additionally, the clock is equipped with a battery backup, one-touch sleep button, one-touch talking clock button, and many other unique features that are exclusive to our clock.